Many of us don’t think about the main water shut-off valve until there’s an emergency, such as burst water pipes. It’s crucial to know the location of this valve in case of a huge plumbing mishap, one that could have water spouting off in different areas of your home in no time. The main water shut-off valve is what will turn off the main water supply in your home. Not sure where to locate this valve on your property? Here are a few tips:
- If your home has a basement and crawlspace: The main water shut-off valve should be located on an interior wall near the front of the house. If your home was built on a slab, then the valve will probably be located near the hot water heater or inside the garage.
- If still searching inside the home: Another useful tip for looking for this valve is to always stay on the side of the house that faces the street. This is because the water main begins at the street and heads in a straight line to your home.
- Check the kitchen: Some valves are also located under the kitchen sink, but only check this place if you’ve checked the water heater area with no luck.
- No luck with searching? Check the property inspection report: If you’ve exhausted all the places you’d think the valve would be available with no luck, you should check the property inspection report. This is the report that was completed while you were in the final stages of purchasing your home, and should include the location and photo of the main water shut-off valve in a special plumbing section of the report.
- Outside the house: If you cannot locate the valve inside the house, it may be found on an outside wall in the utility area of the house. The curb valve could be another shut-off valve located in a metal or plastic utility trap box at the beginning of your water main. Check the boundary line of your property and the street or sidewalk.
- Valve design: The main water shut-off valve can come in two designs, the ball valve or gate valve. A ball valve is a straight handle that will move from a parallel to perpendicular position when shutting off water. A gate valve is round and must be turned several times to shut off the water.
When it comes to a plumbing emergency, the best thing you can do is turn off the water using the main shut-off valve. By doing so, you are preventing leaks and flooding from consuming your house. After locating and shutting off the main water supply, immediately consult with a plumbing expert to make sure your emergency is solved as soon as possible. Looking for a reliable and friendly plumber in Walnut? The Original Plumbing Company will come to you! Knowing where the main water shut-off valve will give you the immediate peace of mind of knowing what to do in an unexpected plumbing emergency!